UAE Suspends All Iran Trade After Missile Strike Attempt
Economic isolation deepens as UAE halts all commerce with Iran following missile incident.
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Two ballistic missiles fired toward the UAE late Tuesday, both of which splashed down in the Persian Gulf, triggered nationwide shelter-in-place warnings and prompted the Emirati government to announce a comprehensive halt to all trade and financial transactions with Iran on Wednesday. The suspension, effective “until further notice,” deepens Iran’s economic isolation at a moment when it is already contending with U.S. sanctions and an ongoing blockade.
The UAE Defense Ministry confirmed the missile launches, noting that assessments indicated the projectiles targeted maritime traffic, though it remained unclear whether they were aimed at Emirati vessels or the country’s territorial waters. Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei denied that Iran had launched any missiles toward the UAE.
The suspension marks a sharp reversal of recent operational progress. Early in the conflict, commercial exchange between the two countries had largely halted under intense fire. By late June, as hostilities eased, some maritime trade had resumed through Iranian state-run channels. That reopening now faces complete closure.
The economic consequences for Iran extend well beyond direct bilateral commerce. Mohammad Farzanegan, a professor of Middle Eastern economics at Germany’s University of Marburg, told The Associated Press that the UAE functions as a critical infrastructure node for Iranian trade flows. “The UAE has been very important for Iran as a re-export hub and has helped the country absorb some of the shocks caused by sanctions,” Farzanegan said. “Iran therefore depends heavily on the UAE, not because the UAE itself produces one-third of Iran’s imports, but because it serves as a major gateway for Iran to access third-country goods and commercial infrastructure.”
The Emirati Foreign Ministry stated it remained committed to “dialogue, cooperation and regional integration” despite the punitive measures, signaling the suspension as a tactical response rather than a permanent policy shift.
Meanwhile, Iran’s chief of staff, General Ali Abdollahi, issued a warning Wednesday to “countries on the southern shores of the Persian Gulf,” stating that “any assistance or facilitation provided to the aggressor U.S. military amounts to participation alongside U.S. military forces.” Iran has accused the UAE and other U.S. allies in the Gulf of facilitating American military attacks.
Separately, France announced it will expel two staff members of the Iranian Embassy in Paris in response to what the French Foreign Ministry described as an assault by Iranian security forces against two French diplomatic staff in Iran last month. Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot characterized the incident as a “premeditated and deliberate attack” and called the Iranian accusations against the French diplomats fabricated. The two Iranian staff members are scheduled to leave Paris within days.
Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf, traveling in the region, landed in neighboring Iraq on Wednesday for a three-day visit to meet with Iraqi officials and leaders of Iran-backed political coalitions. He praised Iran-backed Iraqi militias during the visit, describing them as a “key component of the country’s national power.”
Iraq’s own operational exposure is acute. The country relies on oil revenues for roughly 90 percent of its budget, and Iran’s control of the Strait of Hormuz has forced Iraqi exporters onto alternate routes, including overland shipments to Syria, a less efficient and more expensive option. According to a statement from Iraqi Parliament Speaker Haibet al-Halbousi, Baghdad is requesting that Iran grant special status to Iraqi oil exports through the waterway.
The strait itself remains the focal point of the disruption. Only ten vessels transited the waterway on Tuesday, according to the MarineTraffic website, fewer than a tenth the number that typically sailed through before the war began. During peacetime, roughly a fifth of globally traded oil and natural gas passes through the strait.
The toll on Emirati shipping infrastructure has been mounting. Since the conflict began, nearly 20 vessels owned by Abu Dhabi National Oil Company, the UAE’s state-owned energy operator, have been struck by missiles and drones in the strait, killing one person and wounding another 20. None of the four tanker attacks over the past two weeks caused injuries, but they drew condemnation from the UAE and other regional states, including Kuwait and Bahrain.
Whether the trade suspension accelerates a diplomatic off-ramp or hardens the operational standoff in the strait is the question now facing every logistics operator and state exporter moving cargo through the Gulf.
Q&A
What triggered the UAE's trade suspension with Iran?
Two ballistic missiles fired toward the UAE late Tuesday that splashed down in the Persian Gulf, prompting nationwide shelter-in-place warnings and the government announcement on Wednesday.
How does the UAE function in Iran's trade infrastructure?
The UAE serves as a critical re-export hub and gateway for Iran to access third-country goods and commercial infrastructure, helping absorb shocks from U.S. sanctions.
What is the current shipping volume through the Strait of Hormuz?
Only 10 vessels transited the waterway on Tuesday, fewer than a tenth the typical pre-war volume, compared to roughly one-fifth of global oil and gas trade passing through during peacetime.
How has the conflict affected Abu Dhabi National Oil Company operations?
Nearly 20 vessels owned by the state-owned energy operator have been struck by missiles and drones in the strait, resulting in one fatality and 20 wounded.